CROSS COUNTRY GRID PROCEDURE
· Launch the grid as efficiently as possible
· Enable those on longer tasks (750km or more) to launch earlier if needed
· Allow grid launch to take priority over all other launching for a reasonable period
· Thereafter allow a reasonable balance between grid launch and club/other operations.
Grid Launch Day:
· CFI will [where possible/reasonable] indicate likely "Grid launch" days via weather site
· If possible the notice will indicate briefing time and likely launch run.
· The committee has decided we will have 4 tugs in 2016, in the expectation that a minimum of 3 tugs in service/available at any one time. Note there may be periods when tugs are made available to other clubs for competitions, on a reciprocal basis for our own competitions
· [Robin] tug pilots on roster
· [Robin] ? midweek vs weekend
X/C Pilots - Preparation
· Pilots responsible for all appropriate preparations, DI, self-brief including NOTAM
· Assume grid before brief unless otherwise instructed
· All pilots who wish to participate in the grid are expected to attend the briefing if applicable
· This will include Met, Task setting, NOTAM (for set tasks), church notices eg in-flight frequency
· Tasks to take into account of range of pilot abilities
· Any pilots with 'special' requirements - badge/record attempts etc to identify themselves and any appropriate assistance given - including launch priority if appropriate.
· Indicate likely 1st launch time
· Appoint LaunchMaster for the day
· Grid position as nominated by CFI for respective launch run
· No gilder to be positioned on grid until DI is completed, other preparation can be done on grid
· Each pilot to complete x/c sheet (including retrieve arrangements)
· No gliders to join the grid once launching has commenced.
· Grid master will announce 1st launch giving 15minute warning - to be announced over radio
· Pilots not on the 1st [and 2nd?] rows are expected to help with ropes/launching etc.
· Grid master will allocate tugs, generally on the order of grid position but launch efficiency will take priority.
· Pilots who have chosen to join in the grid must launch with the grid. Pilots are expected to be ready to launch when the tug arrives.
· Any pilot unable or unwilling to launch must be moved promptly to the back of the grid (as in competitions).
· Launch Priority: the x/c grid launch will normally have exclusive use of the tugs for the first hour of launching
· Once one hour has elapsed (or earlier if the grid launch has completed) the duty instructor has the authority to divert some of the aerotow capacity to launching the club gliders.
· Once all gliders on the x/c grid have launched, club and private gliders launching, aerotow or winch will revert to normal operations under the control of the duty instructor